Travelling with my Camera

In a weeks time I am leaving for a month in Peru and Bolivia. I will be fairly roughing it - staying in hostels, and also doing the Inca Trail up to Machu Picchu which takes about 4 days.
I have thought long and hard about what to take with me equipment wise and how best to pack it from a carrying and security stance.
I decided not to take the camera bag as it is a bit obvious. So I bought a camera and lens insert from Pacsafe and I have placed this in an old rucksack, which does have a built in rain cover. I have also bought a couple of padlocks and a gizmo for attaching the bag to a table leg if I am in a cafe.



This is the rather battered rucksack. It does have velcro bands at the back (I think originally for carrying an ice axe - hope I don't need one of those) but I can use this to attach the tripod when I am trekking.

This is what I have managed to cram inside, with room for a paperback and travel documents for journeys. On the right is the camera insert.


This comprises of my Nikon D800e with 24-70mm zoom attached, a Nikon G f4.0 16-35mm zoom lens, Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 zoom lens, 50mm f1.4 and 1.7x converter, ND and graduated filters + polaroid filter. Optech rain hood, trek towel for drying equipment (it is still rainy season), three spare batteries, remote control, lens cleaner, lens pen and puffer. Finally a Lensbaby Composer and a nice coloured makeup bag which has two compartments, one for free and one for used media. 
I have 200Gb memory in compact flash and SD cards. At 50mb a picture these will not last a month ( I built up a store of CF cards when I went to Nepal a couple of years ago).
A few weeks ago I discussed the use of the Cloud FTP to download on to a portable drive or iPad. As the transfer turned out to be really slow I bought a second hand Samsung NC 110 netbook for £150 which I upgraded to 2Gb RAM.. I have a 500Gb portable hard drive already. I can use the netbook for reading etc and leave the iPad at home. Also I can upload the photos on to the computer and back them up on to the hard drive. I have a small card reader to take.


So here is all the electronic stuff which I can fit into the rucksack.


So I hope that I can manage the walking with all this kit. My let out is that I am meeting my daughter over there. She might find she has to take her turn in carrying the load!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 11th June - we go ashore in Village Bay

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 8th June - we go aboard in Oban

A weekend in the Dingle, a damp drive and exciting lichen

The Ancient Agora of Athens